Pastry Cream is one of those master recipes that is used in many lusciously sweet and delicate Desserts and Pastries like Eclairs, Fruit Tarts, Napoleons and Cakes like Boston Cream Pie. Pastry Cream is a homemade Vanilla Pudding that has a rich and silky feel in your mouth and an amazing creamy Vanilla flavor. Serve as Vanilla Pudding with freshly Whipped Cream on top, layered between moist Chocolate Cake or spread on a flaky Tart Crust that's topped with fresh Berries and glazed with Apricot Jam. Making delicious Desserts like these is easy when you are Cooking The Amazing.
Pastry Cream is that amazing filling in an Eclair.
Here is the recipe.
1 c Whole Milk
1/2 c Heavy Cream
1/2 c Sugar
1 T Vanilla Extract5 Large Egg Yolks
2 1/2 T All Purpose Flour
pinch of Sea Salt, fine grain
1 T Butter
1. In a large pot over medium heat bring the Milk, Heavy Cream and Sugar to a simmer. Stir well so the Sugar dissolves, about 3-5 minutes. Do not boil. Take off the heat and add the Vanilla Extract by stirring in well then set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk the Egg Yolks to break them up then whisk in the Flour and Sea Salt until the Flour is well incorporated. About 1-2 mins.
3. Slowly drizzle in about 1/2 c of the hot Milk/Cream mixture to the bowl of the Egg Yolks mixture and immediately whisk it in to temper the Yolks for about 20 secs. Then add the rest of the hot Milk/Cream mixture to the bowl and whisk well. It will be very liquidy.
4. Once well mixed, return the pot to the stove over medium heat. Add the mixture and begin to whisk until it begins to boil and thicken, about 4-5 mins. Scrape the bottom of the pot well as you whisk so it does not scorch. Once it begins to boil, allow it to boil while whisking for 1 full minute. Remove from the heat then add the Butter and whisk until the Butter is melted and well incorporated.
5. Strain the Pastry Cream through a fine strainer, pushing it through using a whisk or a rubber spatula into a medium bowl. Any cooked egg will be left behind. This will make it silky smooth.
6. Cover the strained Pastry Cream with plastic wrap making sure it touches the top of the Pastry Cream surface so a skin does not form. Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours before using. Stir well once you take it out of the refrigerator before using to loosen it up. It is now ready for your recipe or to eat as Vanilla Pudding just as it is... amazingly smooth and delicious.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2011
Post a Comment