Pumpkin Pie is always on the Thanksgiving table usually next to the overlooked Cranberry Sauce. Bad Pumpkin Pie made with over baked dry Crust and thick and pasty Pumpkin Pie filling is usually what we all eat for dessert during the holidays. It's usually store bought from the frozen section and we eat it because we think we are supposed to. If frozen store bought Pumpkin Pie was delicious I would be all for it and buying them myself, but it just isn't. Once you have had real homemade Pumpkin Pie in a flaky homemade Pie Crust you can never go back to nasty Pie again. And it is so easy to make. If you can use a hand mixer you can make this Pie. If the homemade Pie Crust is scaring you then make it with a Graham Cracker Crust. You can make Pumpkin Pie all year round not and just for the holidays especially when it is this easy and you are Cooking The Amazing.
Here is the recipe.
1 9 inch Deep Dish Homemade Pie Crust, Prebaked
or Graham Cracker Crust (recipe below)
2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
1 Large Egg Yolk, Room Temperature
1/2 c Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 c Sugar
1/2 t Fine Grain Sea Salt
2 t Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t Ground Nutmeg
1/4 t Ground Cloves
1/2 t Ground Ginger
1 can Pumpkin (15 oz.) (NOT PIE FILLING MIX)
1 1/2 c Half And Half
1 t Vanilla Extract
1 T Maple Syrup
1. Plan Ahead: Use my prebaked 9 inch deep dish Homemade Pie Crust or a very good store bought prebaked Pie Crust or for a twist use a Graham Cracker Pie Crust. See the recipe for Graham Cracker Crust at the bottom. Whatever you use make sure it tastes good. Bad tasting Pie Crust will make a not so good Pie regardless how good the filling is. Have your 9 inch Pie Crust (or Graham Cracker Crust recipe below) baked and cooled and ready to go before proceeding to the Pie filling. Have your 3 Eggs at room temperature before making the Pie filling. This makes a 9 inch deep dish Pie.
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Have a Cookie Sheet ready to place your 9 inch deep dish Pie pan on for ease of transfer and catch overflow in oven. Bake in the center of your oven.
2. In a large bowl place 2 large room temperature Eggs and 1 large room temperature Egg yolk. Add the Brown Sugar, Sugar, Sea Salt and all the Spices.
Mix with a hand mixer on high until well incorporated.
3. To this mixture add the 1 can Pumpkin and mix well with the hand mixer on high until well incorporated.
4. Add the Half and Half, Vanilla Extract and Maple Syrup and mix well with the hand mixer on high.
5. Place the Pie plate with the prebaked Pie Crust on a Cookie sheet for ease of transfer near your oven. Pour the Pie filling into the prebaked Pie Crust. Cover the Pie Crust edges with aluminum foil to protect it from burning while the Pie bakes. Place in a 425 degree oven on the center rack. Set timer for 15 minutes. After baking for 15 minutes at 425 reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center is set.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature setting the Pie pan on a cooling rack for about 1 1/2- 2 hours. Serve with my homemade Perfect Whipped Cream for the most Amazing dessert anytime of the year.
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
9 whole Graham Crackers, Honey Flavor (1 sleeve from a box of Graham Crackers)
1 T Sugar
1 T Brown Sugar
5 T Unsalted Butter, Melted
Pinch of Fine Grain Sea Salt (omit Salt if you only have Salted Butter)
1/4 c Pecans, Chopped
TIP: Use 1 1/2 c of finely crushed Ginger Snaps in place of the Graham Crackers as another tasty option for the Crust.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place Graham Crackers in a large zip lock bag and close tight with all air out. Using a rolling pin or large heavy can, roll over the bag of Graham Crackers crushing them. Flip the bag over several times and crush until finely crushed and there are no large pieces.
3. Pour crushed Crackers into a medium bowl. Remove any big pieces you missed while crushing and crush them and add them back.
4. Add Pecans, Sugars and Salt and mix well with a fork until combined.
5. Microwave Butter in a small bowl until melted, about 45 secs.
6. Pour the melted Butter over the Graham Cracker mixture and with a fork combined, mixing well but keep it crumbly.
7. Pour the Graham Cracker butter mixture into an 9 inch Pie pan and using your fingers, press it into the bottom of the pan going up the sides of the pan. Pack it firm against the pan.
8. Bake Crust in a 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until browned. Remove and cool on the counter while you prepare filling.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2011