The Sweet Corn was exceptional this year where I live in the Midwest. I was testing Corn Muffin recipes and thought Sweet Corn would be the perfect addition along with Sharp Cheddar Cheese to make an Amazing Corn Muffin even better. Corn Muffins arose from traditional Corn Bread from Southern kitchens and is now served all over the country along side BBQ Ribs, Fried Chicken, and even with Honey and Butter at the breakfast table. This recipe can easily be adapted by adding your favorites like Jalapenos, Bacon or Sauteed Onions. Go to your local farmer's market or farm stand and buy local produce that will taste fresher and support your community all while Cooking The Amazing.
Here is the recipe.
1 Stick Butter, melted
1/2 c Sugar
1 c Buttermilk
1/4 c Sour Cream
1/2 t Fine Grain Sea Salt
2 Large Eggs
1 Ear of Sweet Corn, shucked
1 c Yellow Corn Meal
1 c All Purpose Flour
1 t Baking Soda
6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Put 12 Jumbo Muffin/Cupcake liners in a Muffin tin. Melt 1 stick of Butter in a large bowl in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.
TIP: I use Reynolds brand Cupcake Liners 3 1/2 inch with a foiled outside for a perfect jumbo Muffin.
2. Add Sugar and mix well for 1 minute. Then add Buttermilk, Sour Cream, Eggs and Sea Salt and mix with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.
3. Sift the Corn Meal and All Purpose Flour over the wet mixture and mix well for 1 minute with a hand mixer.
4. Microwave 1 ear of Sweet Corn for 4 minutes on high still in the husk and cut off the kernels and add to the batter mixing well. You can substitute 3/4 c of frozen Sweet Corn thawed for fresh if it is not available. Cut Sharp Cheddar Cheese into cubes about 1/2 inches or so and set aside.
5. Using an Ice Cream scoop or large spoon fill 12 large Muffin (Cupcake) liners 3/4 full with batter and place chunks of Cheddar Cheese cubes into the tops of the scooped batter then bake 20-22 minutes at 375 degrees on the center rack of your oven or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan. To make as a traditional Corn Bread place in a Buttered 9 x 9 baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
If you have extra Sweet Corn you may want to make my Roasted Sweet Corn Salad which is delicious and will make use of your farmer's market finds.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2011