Greek Salad made with crisp Romaine Lettuce, Salty Feta Cheese and lots of summer Vegetables right from your garden can make a great starter Salad or served with sliced Grilled Chicken on top, a complete meal. Making your own Greek Salad Dressing using fresh Basil and Lemon juice takes this Salad from great to Amazing. It can all be made ahead and the Greek Salad Dressing added at the last minute for a crisp Salad. Serve this delicious Salad with Grilled Fish or my Amazing Grilled Shrimp with Lemon or Grilled Lamb or Chicken. The Greek Salad Dressing call also be used as a marinade for grilled Meats to carry the Greek flavor into the whole meal or as a Dressing for any Salad you want to make. It doesn't have to be a Greek Salad to enjoy this bright and tasty Dressing.
To make the most Amazing Greek Salad be sure to use Fresh Lemon juice you squeeze yourself, Fresh Basil and Feta Cheese that you crumble yourself that comes in a brine and you will be Cooking The Amazing!
Here is the recipe.
GREEK SALAD DRESSING/ MARINADE
2 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
1/4 c Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
(about 2 Lemons)
3 T Red Wine Vinegar
1/3 c Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 t Dijon Mustard
25 Fresh Basil leaves
3 t Dried of Fresh Oregano
1/2 t Fine Grain Sea Salt
1 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 1/2 t Sugar
1. Plan ahead. This Greek Salad Dressing tastes best when prepared and refrigerated 1-2 hours ahead. Chop 2 Cloves of Garlic finely and place in a blender.
2. Squeeze fresh Lemon juice from about 2 Lemons for a total of 1/4 c. Rolling the Lemons on the counter with the palm of your hand using firm pressure will make them easier to juice. Pour Lemon juice in the blender with the Garlic.
3. Place all of the other ingredients into the blender: Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Basil leaves, Sugar, and Dijon Mustard. Puree for 1 minute until well mixed. Taste and then correct for Salt or Pepper or more Basil, Lemon juice, etc. Adjust it to your taste. The flavor will improve as it sits refrigerated and tastes best after 1-2 hours of refrigeration. It can be used right away but the full flavor potential comes with sitting refrigerated. It will last 3-5 days refrigerated.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2011
4. To use this Greek Salad Dressing as a marinade place Chicken, Beef, Shrimp, Lamb, Fish or Lobster in a large ziplock bag with the Dressing and distribute well all over the Meat or Fish. Seal tightly and refrigerate 1-2 hours before removing and grilling, basting with the Dressing as needed as it grills.
1 Recipe of Greek Salad Dressing (above)
2 Hearts of Romaine Lettuce Chopped
1/2 of a Medium Red Onion sliced thin
2 Medium Tomatoes diced
1 Medium Cucumber peeled and sliced
1/2 c Kalamata Olives, pitted
8 oz. Fresh Feta Cheese in brine
1 Lemon to squeeze fresh juice
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1. Have a large bowl ready. Prepare the Red Onions by slicing them thin and in rings.2. Wash and dry hearts of Romaine Lettuce and chop into large bite size pieces. Toss with the Red Onion slices in the large bowl.
3. Prepare all of the other Veg. Peel and slice Cucumbers into thick 1/2 moons and large dice Tomatoes. Set aside.
4. Pour 1/2 of the prepared Greek Salad Dressing onto the Romaine Lettuce and Red Onions and gently toss to coat well.
5. Add the sliced Cucumbers and diced Tomatoes. Drain the Kalamata Olives and crumble the Feta Cheese after removing from the brine then add them to the Salad and gently toss with more of the Greek Salad Dressing to your desired taste. Squeeze fresh Lemon juice over the finished Salad and add a few grinds of fresh Black Pepper and serve immediately.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2011