Anything with fresh Mozzarella Cheese and Pesto in the same recipe has to be amazing. There is just no way around it. The key to making this Salad the best possible is to use fresh creamy Mozzarella, bright succulent Tomatoes and the best homemade Pesto. Serve this Salad along side Lemon Grilled Chicken or on top of crisp garden Greens drizzled with Olive Oil and a dash of sharp White Wine Vinegar. The best Mozzarella is the fresh stuff found at a good Italian Deli or a market that has a cheese monger. For this recipe use the "Ciliegine" (cherry sized) Mozzarella stored in a brine for freshness. Whole Foods is a national market that carries fresh Mozzarella. This simple recipe is packed full of complimentary flavors and textures the make Cooking The Amazing worth every bite!
Here is the recipe.
1 c Pesto, fresh prepared
1 lb. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, ciliegine size
2 c Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/4 c Red Onion, diced medium
1/2 t Sea Salt, fine grain
1 t Black Pepper, fresh ground
3 oz. Pine Nuts, toasted (OPTIONAL)
2 c Cooked Pasta (OPTIONAL SEE BELOW)
2. Drain the balls of Mozzarella from the brine and place in a large bowl. Do not wash or dry them off but drain as much of the brine off as possible.
3. Cut the Cherry Tomatoes in half and fold them gently into the bowl of Mozzarella.
4. Dice the Red Onion medium dice and add to the bowl with the Sea Salt and Black Pepper.
5. Add the prepared Pesto and fold all ingredients well. Taste and adjust the Salt and Pepper as needed. Serve immediately at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.
6. Sprinkle the top, just before serving, with toasted Pine Nuts as an option. Click here to see how to toast Pine Nuts in the Pesto recipe. Or fold in 2 cups of cooked Pasta such as Rotini for an amazing Pasta Salad. If you are adding Pasta be sure to add 3/4 c more of fresh Pesto.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2010