SAUSAGE SAGE STUFFING
To some, Stuffing is the best part of Thanksgiving dinner. The crispy Bread topping covers delicious moist seasoned Vegetables and spicy Sage Sausage. This recipe is based on my Grandma's traditional recipe. She always adds Sausage and Poultry Seasoning which makes this Stuffing so flavorful and is always the first thing I eat from my plate. I think I may even like it more than the Roast Turkey but when I am Cooking The Amazing, I can have both.
Here is the recipe.
8 c Sour Dough Bread or Brioche or Corn Bread, in 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 T Olive Oil
1 lb. Sage Sausage (Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans Brand)
6 T Butter, no salt
1 1/2 c Yellow Onion, diced
1 1/2 c Celery, diced
1/4 c Mushrooms, sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced fine
1 t Sea Salt, fine grain
1 t Black Pepper, fresh ground
1 t Thyme, dried
1 t Oregano, dried
2 t Rubbed Sage
2 1/2 t Poultry Seasoning
3 c Chicken Stock
3 T Butter (To Butter The Baking Dish)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a shallow 9 X 13 baking pan by placing it on a cookie sheet for easy transfer. This recipe can be doubled, but you will need two 9 X 13 pans.
2. Use a good quality Sour Dough or Brioche Bread or Corn Bread. Cube 8 cups with a serrated knife into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Place the cubes on a baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, turning once half way through, until lightly browned and toasted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. You can cook the Sage Sausage in the meantime.
3. In a large pan over medium heat cook the Sage Sausage in 1 T Olive Oil, breaking it up into large chunks, until browned and cooked through. Keep the Sausage in big pieces as much as possible. Place the cooled Toasted Bread cubes in a large bowl and add the cooked Sausage to the same bowl. Reserve 1 T Sausage fat in pan.
5. Add the minced Garlic and Sea Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, and Poultry Seasoning and cook for 2 minutes. The Vegetables should be very soft at this stage.
7. Butter the baking pan. Then pour all of the Stuffing mixture into the 9 X 13 baking pan and spread evenly. Do not compress so the Stuffing stays fluffy when it bakes. Bake at 350 degrees covered in foil for 45 mins then uncover and bake for 5 more minutes or until the top gets browned. Allow to sit for 5 mins before serving.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2010