Summer is just around the corner and so are family picnics and cookouts where side dishes like Potato Salad are expected on the table next to the Watermelon. There are a million and one Potato Salad recipes and many are good but some are just boring Potatoes mixed with globs of Mayonnaise. My Potato Salad recipe is full of flavor and will out shine the grilled Hamburgers and Hot Dogs because you are Cooking The Amazing.
Here is the recipe.
2 1/2 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 T Sea Salt for cooking Potatoes
8 Eggs, large, boiled
2 Stalks Celery, diced
3 Green Onions, diced, including green parts
1/2 c Red Onion, diced
4 T Sweet Pickles, diced
3/4 c Mayonnaise
1 1/2 t Yellow Mustard, prepared
1/2 c Sour Cream
1 T Sweet Pickle Juice
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 T Vinegar (White or Apple Cider)
1 1/2 t Sea Salt
1 1/2 t Pepper, fresh ground black
1/4 t Celery Seed
1/2 t Thyme, dried or fresh
Option: 2 T Capers, Bacon crumbles
1. Peel and dice Potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
2. Bring to a boil a large pot of water with 1 T of Salt then add the Potatoes, cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer for 15-18 mins until just tender. Don't over cook to prevent watery Potato Salad.
3. While the Potatoes simmer, bring a medium pot of cold water with 8 large Eggs in it to a rolling boil and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Then cover the pot with a lid and remove from the heat. Allow to sit undisturbed for 15 minutes.
4. Dice small (all about the same size) the Celery, Green Onions, Red Onion, Sweet Pickles and place aside. Option: Add 2 T of drained Capers.
5. In a large bowl mix well the Olive Oil and Vinegar and Mustard until well mixed.
6. Add the Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Sweet Pickle Juice, 1 1/4 t of Sea Salt, Pepper, Celery Seed, Thyme and mix well.
6. Drain the Potatoes well. Allow to sit in a strainer for 5 minutes while you peel the eggs.
7. Peel the Eggs and remove the yolks from 4 of the Eggs. Mash the 4 yolks into a paste with a fork and add to the Mayonnaise, Vinegar and Oil and Mustard mixture, mixing in well.
8. Add the still hot Potatoes to the Mayonnaise mixture and fold gently avoiding breaking up the Potatoes, covering each Potato.
9. Chop the 4 left over Egg Whites and add to the Potatoes. Then add all the diced Onions and Celery mixture and fold into the Potatoes.
10. Taste and adjust if needed for Salt and Pepper.
11. Slice the 4 remaining Eggs and layer over the top to garnish and cover with plastic wrap placed touching the top of the Potato Salad and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Over night is best.
12. If you are adding cooked crumbled Bacon, add it just before serving to the top. It will be mushy and wet if you add it while being refrigerated.
13. Garnish with Celery leaves on top which are full of flavor as an option.
COPYRIGHT (c) 2010