If you have a few apples left from the fall harvest this is the perfect recipe to use them. Buttermilk Apple Cake is a moist and flavorful cake that is perfect for breakfast or as a dessert at the end of a hearty fall dinner. It has creamy buttermilk for richness and a sweet brown sugar that balances all the tartness of the apples. And of course, it is easy to make and delicious. The cake is a semi-dense spice cake that uses apples for amazing moistness. If you have blueberries, raspberries, pears, peaches or a mixture of them all, you can use them in place of the apples. Almost any fruit could be used in place of or in addition to the apples. The type of apple will change the flavor of the cake. Yellow delicious makes a sweet, moist cake. Granny smith makes a tart sweet, moist cake. Try a mixture of different apples to change the flavor. It is a cake you can not stop eating because you are Cooking The Amazing.
Here is the recipe.
- 2 c Diced Apples (about 2-3 large Apples) Like Granny Smith, Cortland, Yellow Delicious
- 1 1/2 c Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 1 t Baking Powder
- 3/4 t Fine Grain Sea Salt
- 1 T Cinnamon
- 1/4 t Nutmeg
- 1/4 t Ground Ginger
- 1/2 c Buttermilk
- 1/2 c Sour Cream
- 2 t Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 11 T Melted Butter (2/3 c)
TIP: Substitute 1 cup of fresh Blueberries and 1 cup of Raspberries for the apples or use 2 cup of diced pears.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel the Apples and core them. Cut them into small 1/4 inch chunks (about the size of a sugar cube) . If you like more texture and a less mushy apple, cut your chunks larger. Set apples aside covered to prevent browning.
- In a large bowl whisk All Purpose Flour, Dark Brown Sugar, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Sea Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ground Ginger until well mixed.
- In a measuring cup whisk Buttermilk, Vanilla Extract, Egg and Sour Cream until well blended.
- Melt 2/3 c Butter in microwave for about 45-50 secs.
- Add the Buttermilk mixture and melted Butter to the dry ingredients and using a hand mixer, mix until well incorporated.
- Fold in the diced Apples using a rubber spatula.
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with Vegetable Spray (like Pam). Spread the Batter into the prepared pan evenly and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Ovens vary and your oven may take longer to bake.
- Cool to room temperature and ice with Cream Cheese Icing.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
2 8 oz. Pakages of Cream Cheese, softened
2 Sticks of Butter, softened
4 t Vanilla Extract
1/2 t Almond Extract
1 Pinch of Fine Grain Sea Salt
1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well mixed.
2. Ice cooled Cake.
Copyright (c) 2009