My Grandma is one of those great home cooks that can make a can of beans taste like the best you've ever eaten. She has a lot of great recipes that she has made over the years that are really good and you can't wait to eat them. One of her most requested recipes is Banana Pudding. It is a creamy luscious dessert that has comforting memories attached to it. The recipe is simple and is best made the night before so the flavors can develop and the pudding can thicken.
Here is her recipe (with her permission) that she has made for years and is a staple at our family get togethers. The bowl is always scraped clean because it is that delicious. Make this for your family and you will be Cooking The Amazing.
Here is Grandma's recipe.
3 c Whole Milk
2 boxes, 5.1 oz ea., Instant Vanilla Pudding (Jello)
8 oz Sour Cream
16 oz Cool Whip, divided
4-5 Bananas, large
1 Box Vanilla Waffer Cookies, divided
1. In a large mixing bowl pour 3 c Milk over the two boxes of Instant Vanilla Pudding *(This is the large boxes, 5.1 oz each) and mix with a hand mixer until well blended.
2. Add Sour Cream and mix well with hand mixer.
3. Add 12 oz of the Cool Whip (reserve the other 4 oz for the top later) and mix well with hand mixer.
4. Spoon 1/4 th of the Pudding mixture into a very large serving bowl and slice 1/3 rd of the Bananas on top in a single layer. Place a layer of whole Vanilla Waffers on top of Bananas and cover with 1/4 th of the Pudding mixture.
5. Repeat these steps ending with the final 1/4 th layer of Pudding on top.
6. Spoon the last 4 oz of Cool Whip on top of the Pudding layer evenly covering the entire surface.
6. Crush about 5-6 Vanilla Waffer Cookies in a large sealed baggie (with all the air out) using a rolling pin or large can. Sprinkle the crushed Cookies over the top of the Cool Whip then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night (for best taste) or at least 8 hours.
7. To serve, place whole Vanilla Waffer Cookies around the edge.
For an Amazing dessert, serve this Pudding over my fresh baked Banana Bread Muffins!
COPYRIGHT (c) 2010